I decided that I wanted to finally use the Salt Water Taffy quilt pattern from Moda Bake Shop from a long while back with a jelly roll of Road 15 by Sweetwater that I bought last year.
Because it's just my nature, I decided to modify the pattern a little bit. Or a lot? I'm making the whole quilt from one jelly roll -- using the light strips for the background instead of solids. I also used some strips to make four patches for the centers of the taffy blocks since I don't have a matching charm pack.
In my opinion, the original pattern has a lot of unnecessary seams, some of which are included to avoid having to use partial seams in the block. I'm all about the partial seam, quilty friends, so I set out to simplify the number of parts in this block.
Here's my finished block:
And here's the block dissected into its parts:
I know partial seams are anathema to some people, but I am all about simplifying seams and saving a little bit of fabric.
Here are all six of my finished blocks:
I really like how all of these have turned out thus far! I have 3 green taffies and 3 dark grey taffies to make and then all of my blocks will be completed! I haven't yet used any of the black strips in the jelly roll -- I am thinking I will use them for sashing and/or binding.
Linking up with WIP Wednesday!