I started working on the sashings for Park Ranger Boyfriend's Civil War quilt based on Barbara Brackman's blog series from last year. I got fabrics from her 1862 Battle Hymn line to use for the sashings and border. Unfortunately, I either didn't do the math or I didn't do the math correctly and didn't end up having enough of one of the sashing fabrics. So here are my three piles of blocks in various states of completion.
For comparison, there are 56 total blocks, 42 with both sashings, 8 with one, and 6 with neither. If I would have cut 1.5" sashings instead of 2", I might have been OK.
So in my frantic "I can't believe I didn't buy enough fabric" panic, I searched all of my stand-by online fabric retailers, and was disappointed by all. I guess this line has been out for a while and I didn't plan accordingly, but this definitely sent my panic into an uber panic. I did find it at a few smaller online boutique quilt and sewing shops, but with rather high shipping and higher per yard prices, my stomach twinged a little bit.
As a last ditch effort I ended up looking for it on Etsy. Normally, I'm not much of an Etsy-believer (but those are stories for another day and time) but I did end up finding it for (what I consider) a great price and fair shipping. In my order, I wrote the seller a short note thanking them for having the fabric in my hour of need. One yard should be on its way to me very soon, which is more than enough for my project, but I have definitely learned my lesson.
I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief that I can actually finish this project because for a while I was worried I was going to have to change my plans entirely. A little delay is a lot better than seam-ripping all of those sashed blocks apart.