Thursday, April 19, 2012

Self-inflicted Hiatus

As you may or may not remember, for months I have been preparing to take my oral comprehensive candidacy exam (also known as the oral exam). If I pass, I am an official PhD candidate, and if not, I'll probably become a trophy wife.

Said exam is exactly one week from today. I turned in my proposals to my committee members today and now all that's left is to relearn everything that I've ever learned about anything in chemistry and prepare my presentations to go along with my two proposals.

No big deal.

So the last week has been really stressful with my practice talks and finishing up my papers (and not getting a lot of sleep because I have had to basically rewrite one of my proposals in 48ish hours) and I had to do something depressing.

I had to put away my rotary cutting mat from my "kitchen table" (that I almost never eat at unless I have company, so it's basically my sewing table) so that I could DO WORK at the table. This is what I suffer through to get a Dr. before my name.

4 comments:

  1. You made me laugh out loud with your 'trophy wife' comment. As if! But as a fellow student I feel your pain. I'm not quite at PhD level yet but I too resent the dining table being cluttered up with textbooks and study notes rather than my sewing machine and a mountain of fabulous fabrics. For all that I LOVE the learning I'm doing at University... Huge congratulations for getting this far in your academic journey. The finish line is in sight! Hang in there for just a bit longer. I am sure your oral will go well and before you know it you will be Dr Alison. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck!! Then you can sew again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alison, I awarded you with the Liebster Blog Award! Go to my blog and check it out!! Congrats!!

    Good Luck on your Exam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your exam. Been there, done that. You have worked hard to get to this point. You can make it. I am very impressed that you keep up a blog while you are preparing for your exam. I am now a new follower.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...