Friday, March 30, 2012

Leftovers

No, I don't mean Tuesday's meatloaf sitting in the fridge.

But if you had some that you were willing to share, I would take it off your hands. But I digress.

One of the perennial questions facing lovely, ingenious quilters is what to do with the leftovers from projects.

Let me give you my definition of leftovers: Leftovers are scraps and pieces left over from a project that go together well (maybe coordinates from a single line) but are possibly too much to either put back on the shelf or stick in the scrap bin.

I'm sure a lot of you know exactly what I mean, and here are some of the ways I know to deal with leftovers.

1. Make another coordinating quilt. Or two.
This is what happened to me when I made my first quilt and cut twice as much sashing and border scraps as I needed. That is why theses three quilts exist:


But why exactly do I need three quilts of the same colors? Not sure yet. the X-quilt might get gifted.

2. Trade with your fellow quilters.
This is pretty much the same as #1, but you don't end up with 2 (or more!) quilts that are the same-like. This is my sister's quilt (it's finished now, but I don't have pictures of it):


... and here's what I did with the leftovers:


Granted, both #1 and #2 require some fabric to be bought, but for the one above I only bought the white and a half yard of the medium magenta. So I think that's a pretty good investment.

3. Try to work it in with other things.
This only really works if you have more than a fat quarter or so of the fabric (or fabrics) you might have left over, though. We all know we have that one fabric that is in a pile of quilts because we loved that fabric so much and bought three yards.

4. Scrap quilts
The go-to solution for all quilting problems. Technically, #1 and #2 are kind of scrap quilts, but I'm more or less thinking of the lovable scrappy quilts that end up having all of our favorite fabrics from all time.

5. Smaller projects.
Table runners, placemats, potholders. The best way I know to use up those 3 extra blocks you ended up with.

Are there any other ideas that you use to use up your leftovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment